Building the Best FP&A CV
FP&A Analysts are in the engine room of financial enterprise, driving investment planning and establishing the future financial health of their company. As we’ve mentioned in our Job Description and How To Become an FP&A Analyst sections, to be a successful FP&A Analyst takes equal parts accountancy know-how and commercial acumen, all powered by communication and attention to detail.Photo by Green Chameleon on Unsplash
It is a challenge to create a resume that succinctly shows the breadth of your role as an FP&A Analyst; however, perfecting your CV will show just how valuable and essential you are to any prospective new employer.
Areas To Focus On
Commerciality and Finance Acumen
● This is vital – your role as a financial advisor, planner and trend forecaster means you must always consider your employer’s current and future financial health.
● Making sure you feed a consistent narrative of balancing your accounting and financial training with case studies and real-use examples would be incredibly advantageous to any job application, and you should make a point of curating your CV to show your vast financial and commercial knowledge pool.
Financial Trend Forecasting
● Whether you call this quantitative forecasting, data analysis or performance analysis, this essential skill set must be hard-coded into your CV. As an FP&A Analyst, your role will necessitate a firm grasp of movements into the broader finance world and how this affects your specific industry.
● To move into senior positions like a department head, CFO or CEO, you’ll have to show how your forecasting knowledge feeds into actionable information and company successes – so your CV should contain examples of how your forecasting and insight have led to company progress and success.
Diligence and Attention to Detail
● Akin to an accountant, you must be obsessed with detail and have an eye for perfection. Again, similar to an accountant, mistakes can be incredibly costly, and when considering the potential ramifications for poor investments and future financial decision-making, your work is even more integral.
● You must find a way to build into your CV examples of attention to detail, accurate forecasting or presentation, or pinpoint commercial and financial advice.
● Although factoring in risk into any financial modelling is always necessary, for an FP&A Analyst to balance commerciality and risk in their decision-making shows a mature and intelligent worker.
● It also shows that you can make complex, critical financial decisions when the data shows that risk exposure outweighs any positives made through investment, saving or expansion.
Search Jobs to find out about the FP&A job roles we currently have available.
On the hunt for your next role? Upload your CV below and we’ll be in touch to discuss your requirements.
For employers seeking the right skills and cultural fit for your business, send us your vacancy to find out more about how we can help.Submit CV Send Us Your Vacancy